Our Philosophy - Gentle Sleep Coaching
Gentle Sleep Coach Certification Program
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “The Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consists of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center, on Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children
- Dr. Anthony Loizides, Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Focused on the effects of GERD and sleep
The GSC Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program, which I have also completed, consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Curriculum training topics include:
- Understanding the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Evidence-based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.